Saturday, March 14, 2009

Central College Show, Pella Iowa

In February I traveled to Pella Iowa for a solo show at Central College. It was a nice relaxing time. I got meet with students and give a few talks about my work.

Pella is a quaint Dutch town that has an amazing old style butcher shop and two incredible bakeries. I ate to many dutch pastries and spent quite a bit of time in a coffee shop on town square.

On Monday morning I went to a nature preserve and watched 50 or more bald eagles flying over the river and nesting in huge trees by the water. I had never seen that many eagles together in one place.

I flew into Des Moines on a Saturday night and had most of Sunday to hang out and explore before driving to Pella. It just so happened that the Des Moines art center (which has a surprisingly good collection) had a Grant Wood show up complete with American Gothic. Grant Wood of course had his roots in Iowa. I always knew good things could come from the mid-west. It is always quite an experience to see work in person that you only know through reproductions.










Gallery Shot


Central College


Pella, Iowa











Pella town square.














Iowa farm land that reminded me of a Grant Wood Landscape.

1 comment:

CWCLibrary said...

Pella is the best! Too bad you weren't there for the tulips. Did you get to eat some yummy Dutch letters?
- Cory